Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Experimenting









From last semester, during the virtual media tutorials when we were making our offices, i found that there was a problem with my office when i used alpha channels or when i made my textures transparent. the layers would overlap and change the order of layers while i rotated my view of my office. This accident and malfunction of the digital was quite interesting, as the space and depth of the structure would change. It was an illusion that contradicted our understanding of logical spaces.
So for my threshold design, i wanted to continue to experiment with this character of second life. I started with a horizontal surface, then moved it into a vertical surface to experiment with the effective-ness of the overlapping. While i was walking my avatar along the vertical wall, i realised that the overlapping of surfaces only worked when i rotated my avatar's view, so then i aimed to created a dome with many rectangular surfaces, because a dome shape worked best, because it allowed the avatar to rotate its view to experience the alpha channel overlapping surface malfunction.

This is my first experiment, i think i will change the shape of the rectangle into something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment